HDMI Repair

From Tron

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

[edit] History

My roommate Mike has a beautiful 32" Sony Bravia valued anywhere between $800 and $1,700 depending on where you look.

This TV (manufactured summer 2006) was amongst Sony's first with HDMI support, consequently I believe it was released with a couple design flaws:

  1. Only 1 HDMI port so if it breaks you're SOL.
  2. This single HDMI port is oriented perpendicular to the screen surface such that if any tension is apply to a connected cable, the cable is wrenched out of the jack unevenly possibly causing damage.

These flaws become more apparent when you trip over the cable ripping the plug out of the jack with some of the male jack's plastic tongue still attached.

[edit] Repair

Approximately 40% of the plastic tongue that separates the top and bottom pins on the male jack was removed:



Before diving into the back of the TV we called around a little and found out that Sony doesn't sell a replacement jack. We would have to order the whole main board that was priced from $200 to $400.

We also toyed with the idea of having a professional service the TV but quickly dismissed that when were quoted $100 just for a technician to come and diagnose the blatantly obvious problem.

I have a fair amount of surface mount soldering experience through my working at Minco so I figured I would give a self repair a shot. I figured if we were going to go through the effort of fixing this TV we might as well provide a break away point in the connection and also reorient the jack so that in the future if someone trips over a cable again this problem will not happen.

[edit] Connecting Jumpers

The hardest part of the whole repair was soldering jumper wires to the fairly small pins on existing HDMI jack. To get better access to these pins we removed the main board from the TV and desoldered the stainless steel jack casing as shown in the above pictures.

With better access were were able to easily solder 30 gauge breadboard wire to each pin. Because the pins were so close together I decided to bend every other pin down so that distance between them was much greater reducing the risk of a short between them.

Once the soldering was complete we covered the joints in epoxy for further protection against shorts and to increase their overall strength.

[edit] Reassembly

With the jumpers attached we reconnected the main board to the TV and began screwing everything back together.

We widened all the steel and plastic holes that the HDMI plug normally goes through to give the jumper wires plenty of room.

We then cut the end off of a standard female to female HDMI cable and established a pinout on the exposed wires.

Then we cut a hole in the TV casing for the cable to dive into and soldered the jumper wires to the exposed end of the cable.

Inside the TV we placed a male to male adapter to plug the female end of the now directly soldered cable into. We cut a hole in the TV casing for the new, reoriented male HDMI jack.

[edit] Finished Product

Before we taped everything up we powered the TV and were pleased to see that the new jack functioned perfectly! Our two sets of 19 pin solder connections passed HD video and audio just as the old jack did. The finished product is shown below:


[edit] Tools

  • 30w soldering iron (Radioshack)
  • .022 silver solder
  • Paste flux
  • 30 gauge solid wire
  • Dremel with cutting bit
  • Various wire stripping and cutting tools
  • Electric tape
  • Quick set epoxy

[edit] Replacment parts

[edit] Finance

  • Tools = $50
  • Parts = $15

[edit] Shout outs

Thanks to Aaron, Burke, and Mike for their help with everything.

Personal tools
EE4951